

ugh. All i want to do is listen to music all day. I'm having productivity issues.
So this week and weekend were cool. on friday I went to a lecture on italian youth and it basically talked about unemployment issues that youth face and why they end up having to live at home for sometimes 8 or 9 years after they graduate from prestigious italian universities. the job markets are virtually impossible in italy, and they have been for a while, meaning it wasn't just this economic decline that broke their job market.
So, I knew about this before, but it got me thinking about why I'm studying italian and what I want to do with it, because even if I wanted to I might not be able to get work in italy (ever). I don't know. I just feel like its such a privilege to be studying this language in such depth, but what is there to do with it? italian culture and history are really interesting, but it's a bummer that I'm not taking or haven't learned spanish, because there are SO many jobs, in the states, but also all over the world, that require or look for bilingualism in english and spanish. Anyway, I just have a hard time really loving something and giving it my all if i don't know how i'm going to use it, and for right now I know I'll be using it a ton next year, but I'm not sure if I'll use it later in life and that sort of sucks to think about. I don't want to spend all this time learning italian, and then not really need it later.
Anyway, then yesterday we made costumes and masks all day for the party that was last night. There was a huge 'festa' at a loungish place in the town center and it was basically one of the funniest things i've ever experienced. Both my professors were there, intoxicated, as they should be since they're all italians, but it was basically hilarious to watch them dance and shout at each other like they were at a rave. There were a lot of really funny costumes and I ended being wonder woman (pictured above) because it was easy to craft from clothes i already had. I considered being a dinosaur (cuz i had bought a foam dinosaur kids visor at a dollar store down the street) but wonder woman won (of course, after all she's a super hero)
This week we're finishing a book in my lit class that we've been reading, and its only been two weeks. This is all quite fast for me.
Oh, also, turns out I've been cleared to possibly receive grades and credit for being here at Middlebury which means that hypothetically I only have to take 3 classes toward my italian major while I'm abroad, if the Middlebury courses count for credit. Basically, if i want, I can take tons of music or take less classes while I'm abroad, or even start another language or take something REALLY strange. I have a lot more time and less pressure than I thought. That's all. I'm really glad.
That's all.

No comments:
Post a Comment