so, that happened last night, the thing about a strange man at my window. I was chillin in bed, which faces a window, that faces a street with lots of parking spaces along the building. There's a sidewalk and then a bunch of leaves and trees in front of our windows, so you can hear when someone walks on it. I heard some crunching leaves, then saw a shadow on the lower part of my window. Then I see some dude look over the opaque part of the glass INTO my room, sees me sitting on my bed in pjs chatting with amelia on skype (2nd blog guest appearance, btw). So i get out of bed, sort of like, wtf? and walk over to the window. The gu is leaning up against a car, just staring at me. He totally knows I saw him, we're totally still looking at each other, but he doesn't make an attempt to move. So i walk into the living room and tell my housemate, yo strange man outside my window what the fuck do i do? She looks outside of our living room window, which faces the same way as my bedroom window, sees the guy, and gets super scared. we lock the door, then we call the 'door guy' that works at our dorm. He says he'll go out to talk to the guy. he goes out to talk to him, we watch, then the door guy calls us back when he's inside and says, yea the guy doesnt speak italian, I guess I'll call the cops. So the guy STILL hasn't left, he's basically watching us in the kitchen, and then 4 or 5 police cars (half the bologna police force) rolls up outside. They come to the window, asking for the person who made the call, (i didn't call them obviously, but had to talk to them, which was hard cuz a lot of law enforcers are generally...well i dont want to generalize, but there's this idea that young guys without opportunity from the south work as police..basically it was really hard for me to understand them, but i had to explain myself.
They said that another girl (stefania, who is actually best friend of my ex roommate from the month of september, so i know her pretty well) called the cops also because this same dude had approached her window with 'pantaloni abassati', or slightly lowered pants. They ask me for a document, what the guy did, etc. I guess in the end they took him away, i don't think to jail or anything, but at least away from us. The WEIRDEST thing was why the heck wouldn't the guy go away after he knew we were watching him and he'd already sort of invaded my privacy. why was he looking in? I mean, i'm not sure about the lowered pants thing cuz i wasn't there for that, but.... fuckin creepster right?
So i get all shaken up by that. Can't sleep. then I have this extra strange day including working on an essay about what I'd like to do with the next 7 years of my life. For one of the fellowships i'm shooting for, i basically have to know, or at least sell myself like i do, and stuff like that just screws me up. I started getting pretty overwhelmed and agitated about the idea of telling a fellowship comitee that I want to be a doctor of italian, teaching and researching for the rest of my life, when I'm less than 50% sure that that's true. At any rate, I was corresponding with 4 different Wellesley teachers/advisors at the same time about, all of them giving me advice about how to change my essay, or even just what to do, and so i spent most of the day just staring at this essay being like what the fuck. i don't know. i had to find campuses of Ph.D programs that I want to do. hell if i know.
And i guess it's chill that i dont, because clearly I don't have to do any schooling that I don't want to, however, Its a bummer that if I get this fellowship I'm only gonna be able to use it for this one thing, at least thats my impression for now, that its a rather conditional thing. That means if i full throttle chose italian that music, once and for good, will be the official backburner love of my life...................................and that thought sort of haunted me all day
oh yea, then my tooth is falling out. lol not really, but one of my OLD fillings from way back in the day started falling out a few days ago, which just sucks because I don't really want to go to a dentist and pay hella $z to fix it right now, but you know, shit happens. so i have to go to an appointment for that tomorrow/soon.
After the crazy essay work, I planned the rest of the weeklong trip to sicily I'm doing with 3 friends from my program. We're doing a big circle around the island, right after Napoli, and i'm REALLY excited, because hopefully the weather will be nicer there than it is here. Anyway, that took like 2 hours of checking rates, entering credit card numbers and just figuring out the trains and crap, but at least its done.
So then i get back from centro, and i'd left a bunch of coats on my xroommates bed, but today the dorm administration came by our apartment to check that the extra bed in my room was free for someone that would be arriving today. They told my housemate that they wanted to fine me for having left shit on the other bed, since it wasn't mine, they assumed that I'd been illegally hosting a guest in my room (because there's a regolamento, a protocol for guests, and i would have had to file a registration for a guest) so they said like shame on her, she cant leave her crap on this empty bed. Which is probably true, i shouldnt, but its been open for like 1.5 months, and i hadn't heard ANYTHING from the dorm association that someone might becoming, so i had no idea. plus u know when theres empty/extra space in ur room, u tend to use it just like absentmindedly. So the administrative people throw all my crap on my bed, and my roommate helps me (lol <3 miriam, shes the greatest) organize my stuff, which was long overdue and sort of funny. So then I call the doorman, to tell them, yo i'm not trying to start trouble, havent had a guest i swear, please dont fine me, la la la. they were like ya, no its cool, just you cant leave anything on that other bed, and i was like, ya ok i wont my bad, and then i was like well wtf is someone coming why cant u people tell me, and they say they have no idea they just came to check.
so then later, i get a new roommate. A girl from spain, an erasmus student, just arrived today, but she's only staying in my room for 16 days. I REALLY hope that no one comes to stay for good, just because friends will be able to travel easily without any nuiscance. I had a friend stay with me in january without trouble. I really hope it continues that way.
At any rate, this spanish girl doesnt speak much italian really at all, and its so interesting to have an american, spanish girl, and italian girl all in the same kitchen talking, because of course we're trying to help orient her, and that becomes much more exhausting and interesting with language barriers. Its like charades (how do u spell that?) legit, because we have to act out everythign we're talking about. The other interesting linguistic thing is that I can understand a LOT more spanish than I thought. Like this girl, i can hardly understand her italian but when she speaks spanish I basically understand. weird!
The good thing about this girls arrival is that its making me see how close i am with my housemates. especially since she doesn't speak italian and doesn't really know us that well, and is also only here for less than 2 weeks, it just sort of made me realize that I've been living with these girls, who are now my relatively good friends i'd say, for like 5 months now, and we have another full 4 months. i'm lucky that we get along so well. Last night we talked to our housemate (my roommate) who just went to spain, and we're really planning to get to barcelona to stay with her. It's seriously too bad that Enza left.
So things are proving to be really interesting. I'm speaking a lot of italian, trying to get used to having someone in the room again. The first few days are always like that with someone new.
peace. i'm exhhhhaaaauuussted.
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment