Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"Artists ought to be writing/ about what they do/ and/ what kinds of procedures they go through to realize a work/ what their presuppositions in making a work are/ and related things. If artists' intentions and ideas/ were more accessible to the general public/ I think it might break down/ some of the barriers of misunderstanding between the art world/ and artists/ and the general public/ I think it would become clear the extent to which artists are just as much a product of their society as anyone else as in any other kinds of occasion/"
-Adrian Piper

I read an article today about international water crises. It's funny to me that this article was one of the last un-bolded, smaller font, articles in the 'world' section of the NY times website. I wonder what we're going to do when the water crises hits the middle class. Right now, 700 million people are already under sever 'water stress' even if its not a crisis yet. Ethiopia, Haiti and Niger are experiencing real crises. It just makes me wonder about the functions that water parks, hot tubs and pools, and irresponsible domestic water use serve in our society.

i've been really getting into food and what i eat (for health's sake) and informing myself about nutrition and stuff like that. I've recently drastically changed my diet and have started a weekly workout routine with my roommate maria. I'm trying not to set the initial stakes too high, but i hope it works out for the better. We need to change the way we do so many things, and if I can't change myself... well then i'm not going to be effective in any other ways.

2 comments:

  1. ...says the girl who showers everyday. at least my unhygienic habits are benefiting the world!

    but seriously- here's a movie you should watch and a review that my friend wrote- http://daughterofthedyaspora.blogspot.com/2009/09/blue-gold-world-water-wars.html

    also-here is a short video that i like on the global water crisis-- http://www.good.is/post/water/

    ReplyDelete
  2. dug both those videos a lot. burn on the shower comment tho.

    ReplyDelete